‘Stay inside, stay safe’: Ashwin uses ‘mankad’ moment to ask people to stay ‘inside’ during lockdown

New Delhi | Jagran Sports Desk: Day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a 21-day lockdown in the nation to stop the novel coronavirus from spreading, many cricketers supported his decision and urged the public to avoid all ‘non-essential’ travel and practice social distancing.

Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin also came up with a cheeky post to urge everyone to stay inside their houses during the lockdown.

The 33-year-old cricketer, who has taken 365 wickets in Test cricket, shared a picture of him ‘mankading’ English wicket-keeper batsman Jos Butler in the Indian Premium League (IPL) 2019.

“Hahaha, somebody sent me this and told me it’s exactly been one year since this run out happened. As the nation goes into a lockdown, this is a good reminder to my citizens. Don’t wander out. Stay inside, stay safe! #21DayLockdown,” Ashwin wrote while sharing the picture on his social media accounts.

However, Ashwin had said that he didn’t do anything wrong and he was well within the laws of the game.

Butler was batting at 69 when he got out of the crease at the non-striker’s end and got mankaded by Ashwin. The Rajasthan Royals were 108 for two when Butler got out and with his dismissal, the team collapsed and the Royals lost the match by 14 runs.

Talking about the 21-day lockdown, PM Modi on Tuesday said this is an essential step to fight coronavirus decisively, adding that saving lives is priority as of now.

PM Modi warned that if the citizens don’t follow a complete lockdown for the coming 21 days, the nation will go back 21 years and many families will be devastated.

IPL 2020 likely to get cancelled amid coronavirus outbreak, no auctions for next season: Report

Mumbai | Jagran Sports Desk: Amid the coronavirus outbreak in the country, the Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) might cancel the 13th season of the Indian Premier League (IPL), said a media report while adding that an official announcement will be made soon.

According to an Indian Express report, the BCCI will make the announcement after the 21-day nationwide lockdown ends. The report further says that there will be no auction for the next year’s IPL and the status quo will be continued and the franchises can just pick a few players if they want too.

“IPL will not happen this year. It will now happen next year. We all know how the situation is at the moment in the country and no one will take any risk. One can’t have social distancing in the stadium. It’s better to play IPL next year. Also, no mega auction will take place. We will inform the franchises once we get final confirmation from the Indian government, the same season can continue next season,” Indian Express quoted a BCCI official as saying.

The IPL was postponed by the BCCI to April 15 earlier this month amid the coronavirus outbreak. The BCCI had said that conducting the tournament would only come into the picture if the pandemic subsides.

“I can’t say anything at the moment. We are at the same place where we were on the day we postponed. Nothing has changed in the last 10 days. So, I don’t have an answer to it. Status quo remains,” BCCI President Sourav Ganguly had said, as quoted by news agency PTI.

The star-studded eight-team league was originally scheduled to start on March 29 in Mumbai.

“If Olympics can be postponed by a year, IPL is a much smaller entity in that regard. It is becoming increasingly difficult to organise. At this point the government is not even thinking about allowing foreign visas,” a BCCI official had told PTI.

China-EU Summit to offer certainty in uncertain time

Amid the ravaging COVID-19 pandemic, the upcoming 22nd China-EU leaders’ meeting on Monday is expected to boost much-needed confidence in the global fight against the virus and offer more certainty in a time of unprecedented instability.

This year marks the 45th anniversary of China-EU diplomatic relations, and with cooperation and consensus always greater than competition and difference, China and EU have proven themselves to be long-term, comprehensive strategic partners.

Since the outset of the COVID-19 outbreak, leaders from both sides have maintained close communication and coordination via phone calls, video-conferences and other means.

The frequent exchanges are proof of deep political mutual trust and close strategic coordination between the two sides, which have laid the groundwork for concrete cooperation to tide over the health crisis confronting the world.

The mutual support between China and Europe has set an example for the global epidemic battle.

When the epidemic broke out in China, the EU and several European countries expressed support for China and sent over urgently needed supplies. When the COVID-19 outbreak began in Europe in March, China promptly sent protective supplies and medical teams to Europe.

Following this momentum, Monday’s meeting is expected to promote cooperation in the battle against the novel coronavirus in such fields as expertise sharing, as well as vaccine and medicine development.

As the COVID-19 pandemic takes a heavy toll on the world, closer cooperation between China and the EU will inject more confidence into reviving the global economy.

The past few years have witnessed the rise of protectionism and its threat to derail the world economy even before the COVID-19 pandemic. The epidemic has unfortunately generated some talk about “decoupling.”

As both China and the EU remain firm supporters of an open world economy, a joint declaration by China and the EU to revive their economies will serve as an example for others to follow.

The upcoming China-EU summit also comes at a time when the leadership of the World Health Organization (WHO) in the global fight against COVID-19 has been undermined by U.S. withdrawal from the UN agency.

No country is immune to the epidemic, and global cooperation is the only solution to the current health crisis facing humanity.

In the fight against COVID-19, China and the EU have clearly expressed support for the WHO’s leading role. The two are staunch advocates of improving the global health system and remain a force against unilateralism.

For forty-five years, a healthy China-EU partnership has been an essential anchor for world stability and development. At a time when the COVID-19 pandemic has posed tremendous uncertainty, it is more important than ever to keep the China-EU relationship solid. The world depends on it.

Closer China-EU cooperation imperative to post-COVID-19 world

The 22nd China-European Union (EU) leaders’ meeting, the first official meeting between Chinese leaders and the new EU leaders, will be held via video link later on Monday.

The meeting comes at a crucial juncture as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to pose a serious threat to global public health security and economic stability. Against such a backdrop, enhanced cooperation between China and the EU, two major economies, is needed more than ever.

One major area the two sides can and should step up cooperation in is the arduous fight against the deadly pathogen. At the moment, China has largely brought the coronavirus outbreak under control, and the epidemic situation in Europe is improving.

With their combined experience of battling the coronavirus and curing the infected, China and the EU can join hands to help those countries that are still grappling with the pandemic and promote a more effective global response to this unprecedented health crisis.

Vaccines are the ultimate weapon against the virus. By working together more closely, the two sides can pool more of their medical resources and research power so that an effective vaccine can be available as soon as possible.

The COVID-19 pandemic has also exposed some of the deep-seated problems besetting global health governance, which is being further constrained as Washington is threatening to quit the World Health Organization (WHO). Beijing and Brussels should continue to support the indispensible role of the WHO in the ongoing pandemic battle, and improve the global health governance in preparation for future health crises.

One other key area the two sides should step up collaboration in is free trade, and both sides should help stabilize global supply chains and join others around the world in bringing about recovery of the global economy.

China and the EU have long shared a broad consensus on strengthening practical cooperation in such fields as the economy, trade and investment. The China-Europe freight trains, the number of which hit a new high of 1,033 in May, was up 43 percent year on year; this is also a stellar example of how China and Europe can stand together in the face of the coronavirus challenge.

Closer bilateral cooperation will send a strong message to the world in support of free trade and an open world economy in an age when protectionism seems to be gaining momentum.

Meanwhile, despite the COVID-19 disruptions, China and the EU, which account for one third of global gross domestic product, remain committed to concluding a comprehensive bilateral investment agreement this year.

A timely conclusion of the China-EU investment treaty is of great importance for both sides to harness the complementarity of their respective economies and help them play a vital role in stabilizing the global supply chains and reviving the world economy.

Ultimately, Beijing and Brussels need to combine their forces to fend off protectionism and uphold multilateralism in this increasingly interconnected world.

In the past few years, China and the EU have proven themselves to be persistent defenders of the rules-based multilateral system. They should use this leaders’ meeting as an opportunity to strongly endorse multilateralism.

The world has been grappling with the formidable challenges of uncertainty and chaos even before the COVID-19 outbreak as the spectres of protectionism and unilateralism have been rearing their ugly heads across the globe. Amid the coronavirus pandemic, the temptation of beggar-thy-neighbor policies threatens to further derail global cooperation on critical issues such as climate change.

The COVID-19 crisis should be regarded as a sobering reminder that global crises need global solutions, not a short-sighted excuse to retreat into one’s own borders and resort to economic nationalism and protectionism.

The world has been caught off guard by the COVID-19 pandemic. However, countries around the world should work together to overcome this global health crisis, and not be crushed by it. This is the task that both China and the EU now face.

Street Art Brings Communities Together

In an initiative supported by MFC Foundation, the charitable arm of Middlesbrough Football Club, working in association with Youth Focus North East, communities have been challenged with chalking their street.

The results, on and off the pavement, have been spectacular.

The residents of one such street, Coral Street in Saltburn, bought into the initiative wholeheartedly with both sides of the road adorned with chalk messages and drawings.

Commenting on the project, one lady who simply wanted to be known as Michelle said: “It was amazing just to have the opportunity to take part. There is not one person on our estate who isn’t thankful for that.

“People are still talking about it and how much they loved it. It’s brought everyone together and talking to each other.”

Michelle added: “We had a Facebook group for the chalk event, but now everyone wants to keep it and for us all to have something regularly.

“To say everyone was behind closed doors, lonely and scared, everyone came out on the streets and spoke to their neighbours. There was so much laughter and enjoyment.

“I loved just stepping back and seeing everyone together and the laughter was infectious.”

2019/20 Broadcast Agreement

作为EFL和Sky Sports之间新的创新安排的一部分,广播公司将现场直播45场比赛,所有Sky Bet EFL Championship俱乐部的季票持有者将获得前所未有的观看2019/20赛季结束的机会线上。

冠军赛季将于6月20日在Sky Sports直播现场闭门进行,并且已经进行了工作,以确保季票持有者有机会不错过任何比赛,无论比赛是在家中还是客场进行。

天空体育将播出剩余的108项冠军赛中的30场,同时专门展示“天空投注”附加赛中所有EFL部门的15场比赛。俱乐部的流媒体服务还将播出30场联赛直播,其中将只为季票持有者提供访问权。

此外,其余的78场比赛将全部以直播方式进行直播,并且如上所述,季票持有者也可以访问。非季票持有者可以以£10的当前比赛价格购买这些游戏。天空体育将显示这些比赛中的“目标进球”。

通过联赛与Pitch International的合作伙伴关系,EFL的海外广播公司也可以观看30场Sky直播比赛。其他游戏将在英国以外为EFL俱乐部的支持者提供,既可以作为已购买的季票的一部分(针对各自俱乐部),也可以逐场购买。

由于竞争于今年早些时候推迟,EFL和Sky之间达成了一项和解协议,因此可以以这种独特的方式来构造这种安排,这一决定对现有安排的财务影响有限。在EFL俱乐部由于缺少门票收入而失去大量收入的时候,广播公司就开始了。

装置时间表将与修改后的广播选择一起定稿,EFL游戏将在以下时间(或另行约定)进行:

周末

  • 星期五–下午6点和晚上8点
  • 星期六–下午12.30、3pm和5.30pm
  • 周日– 12pm

周中

  • 星期二–下午5点,6点和8点
  • 星期三–下午5点,6点和8点

在本赛季停赛之前所做的广播选择现在将不适用,Sky Sports将“从头开始”开始此过程,预计第一批选择将在下周初推出。

EFL主席里克·帕里(Rick Parry)表示:“首先,我要感谢天空体育的团队的耐心和支持,同时我们也解决了由于现场体育无法开展而围绕协议达成的一些复杂问题由于当前的危机。

“毫无疑问,COVID-19已对所有行业产生了不利影响,尽管我们只想在安全的情况下返回,但我们始终了解,当我们这样做时,我们必须平衡广播合作伙伴的要求我们的俱乐部所面临的独特且具有挑战性的财务状况。

“我们很高兴达成这样一个令人愉快和明智的安排,以确保对俱乐部的财务影响降到最低,Sky Sports能够凭借多年来最令人期待的冠军争夺战之一来恢复其足球业务,而且重要的是, ,那么在指南阻止他们亲自参加游戏的这段时间内,粉丝可以使用游戏。”

Sky Sports Managing Director Rob Webster said: “The partnership between Sky Sports and the EFL supports clubs and their communities across the country. We are pleased to have reached a solution which works for them; and appreciate the positive and collaborative spirit of the negotiations.

“The availability for existing season ticket holders to stream matches from their club platform will compliment Sky Sports in telling the complete story of the climax to season.”

Quest will also provide extended highlights on both Saturday evenings and midweek, whilst talkSPORT will provide exclusive national radio commentary on some Championship matches.

Championship Season End Date

经过本周与EFL冠军俱乐部的进一步磋商后,本赛季仍将在6月20日周末的第38场比赛开始,第39场比赛在6月27日(星期六)举行。

这项对赛程表的细微修改将导致常规赛的最后一场比赛是在7月21日和22日的周三,而冠军附加赛决赛将于8月2日(星期日)或8月3日(星期一)进行。

请查看Boro比赛日流媒体服务的更多详细信息,下周将在此处mfc.co.uk在此处共享

EFL Statement: Latest COVID-19 Test Results

锦标赛

在最新一轮的COVID-19测试之后,EFL可以确认在6月3日(星期三),6月4日(星期四),6月5日(星期五)和6月6日(星期六)期间对24个冠军俱乐部的1179名球员和俱乐部职员进行了测试。从两个俱乐部测试阳性。

现在,那些测试为阳性的球员或俱乐部职员将根据EFL提供的指导方针进行自我隔离,并且只有那些测试为阴性的球员或俱乐部人员才被允许进入训练场设施。

联盟一

Following the first round of COVID-19 testing in League One, the EFL can confirm that 135 players and club staff were tested from four League One clubs over the course of Wednesday 3 June, Thursday 4 June, Friday 5 June and Saturday 6 June with zero individuals testing positive.

LEAGUE TWO

Following the latest round of COVID-19 testing, the EFL can confirm that 132 players and club staff were tested from four League Two clubs over the course of Wednesday 3 June, Thursday 4 June, Friday 5 June and Saturday 6 June with one individual testing positive.

现在,那些测试为阳性的球员或俱乐部职员将根据EFL提供的指导方针进行自我隔离,并且只有那些测试为阴性的球员或俱乐部人员才被允许进入训练场设施。

测试公告

EFL将继续根据测试计划定期发布相关公告,以支持比赛的完整性和透明度。

联盟将不提供有关俱乐部或个人的具体细节。

Vale Geoff Kerr

St Kilda Football Club pauses to remember seven-game Saint Geoff Kerr – one of the most passionate players to represent the Crest.

Of the 1615 men who represented St Kilda at senior level, the games tallies range from one through to the 383 of Robert Harvey.

But each hold a place in our rich tapestry.

After all, they have beaten many thousands of others just to get to footy’s top level.

Our records list Geoff Kerr as having played seven games for the Saints from 1945-1947, and his pride in being a part of St Kilda was something that ran through a rich life, and extended to the many members of his family who are Saints members.

Geoff passed away on May 26 at the age of 95, shortly after a fall. Until then he had still been active.

He was a member of the Saints Past Players Committee for more than a decade traversing the Moorabbin and Waverley eras, and enjoyed nothing better than catching up with his old mates. He was honoured to be guest speaker at a Haloes Lunch a few years back at Marvel Stadium.

As a player he came from the Caulfield Districts team based at Caulfield Park. It was there that he was spotted by a Saints recruiter and he debuted in the senior team late in 1945.

He played two games on the half-back line and a further five in 1947, sometimes taking a turn in the ruck because of St Kilda’s chronic lack of big men.

He often told the story that at the time of his debut he was the tallest man on the Saints list at 188cm (or six foot two inches in the old measures).

Looking at the Saints list of that year confirms that Brendan O’Donnell (191cm) had started the 1945 season as the tallest Saint, but he retired just one game into the season.

Geoff Kerr was a watchmaker by profession and worked in the city with the Dunklings firm. His boss would not let him leave work early to attend footy training and Geoff always reckoned the boss was a Collingwood barracker, which tells its own story.

Often he wouldn’t arrive at the Junction Oval until 7pm, just as others were leaving the track. His late arrivals prompted the nickname ‘Midnight’ among his teammates.

Geoff’s son Doug says that the footy career came to an end when Geoff’s wife was concerned that if he injured his hands playing football, he would not be able to work as a watchmaker.

Having won a best-and-fairest for the Saints Seconds, he could have been on the cusp of more regular senior selection at the age of just 22.

Geoff Kerr’s funeral will be held on Tuesday 9 June at 11am. The memorial will be streamed on the internet for those wishing to pay their respects. More information to follow.

Rath: Steele to cast off the shackles, Battle’s ‘merit’ to play both ends

At a glance:
St Kilda’s Head of Football David Rath says Jack Steele is poised to break free as an inside midfielder in 2020.
Steele has primarily been deployed as a tagger during his time at the Saints.
Rath also credited Josh Battle’s “merit” to play up both ends of the ground.
St Kilda’s Head of Football Program David Rath believes Jack Steele is ready to let loose as a fully-fledged midfielder ahead of the season restart.

The fierce combatant was deployed predominantly as a tagger in 2019 and helped nullify some of the league’s biggest game-breakers week-on-week.

But in line with Brett Ratten’s philosophy of developing a gameplan that plays to players’ strengths, Rath believes the 24-year-old can reach new heights when set free.

READ: Rath on Ratten’s coaching philosophy

“What we’ve seen with Jack over the pre-season and towards the end of last year, is that he established himself as a quality midfielder,” Rath told SEN.

“I think Ratts’ approach we’ve seen so far in the pre-season and Round 1 was to let him off the leash a little bit.

We’ve seen Jack grow in this way. Because he has some unique attributes, he has the ability to continue playing without being bound by the players.

“He’s a big-bodied mid in the classic type and his ability to break free and get through a contest is really strong, so we’re hopeful to see some more offensive output from Jack, for sure.”

Steele (151 votes) polled third in last year’s Trevor Barker Award behind Rowan Marshall (152) and Seb Ross

While a minor wrist injury has temporarily halted the plan, the No. 9 is on track to rubberstamp his prowess next Sunday against the Western Bulldogs.

The Haileybury recruit has played forward for most of his footy career, but was thrown down back in 2019 as injury swept through the Saints’ defensive stocks.

“He’s got a lot of attributes to support his ability down back – he reads the play well, he marks it well, he’s a really good size and he’s a beautiful kick,” Rath said.

“But on the flipside of that, that conduit lead-up role is a really good opportunity for him up forward because of those attributes.

“I think he’ll probably play a little bit of both, and that’s going to be really valuable for us.”

Both Steele and Battle will have their hands up for selection when the Saints’ season gets underway on Sunday 14 June against the Western Bulldogs.