Mumbai | Jagran Sports Desk: Amid the coronavirus outbreak in the country, the Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) might cancel the 13th season of the Indian Premier League (IPL), said a media report while adding that an official announcement will be made soon.
According to an Indian Express report, the BCCI will make the announcement after the 21-day nationwide lockdown ends. The report further says that there will be no auction for the next year’s IPL and the status quo will be continued and the franchises can just pick a few players if they want too.
“IPL will not happen this year. It will now happen next year. We all know how the situation is at the moment in the country and no one will take any risk. One can’t have social distancing in the stadium. It’s better to play IPL next year. Also, no mega auction will take place. We will inform the franchises once we get final confirmation from the Indian government, the same season can continue next season,” Indian Express quoted a BCCI official as saying.
The IPL was postponed by the BCCI to April 15 earlier this month amid the coronavirus outbreak. The BCCI had said that conducting the tournament would only come into the picture if the pandemic subsides.
“I can’t say anything at the moment. We are at the same place where we were on the day we postponed. Nothing has changed in the last 10 days. So, I don’t have an answer to it. Status quo remains,” BCCI President Sourav Ganguly had said, as quoted by news agency PTI.
The star-studded eight-team league was originally scheduled to start on March 29 in Mumbai.
“If Olympics can be postponed by a year, IPL is a much smaller entity in that regard. It is becoming increasingly difficult to organise. At this point the government is not even thinking about allowing foreign visas,” a BCCI official had told PTI.